Saturday 5 June 2021

Pallet Pool, Part 2

How to (not) build a pallet pool...part 2...

Now that my pallets were in place, in a 16 foot by 12 foot octagon, I thought the pool needed a ledge (bench). As we were planning to have it decently deep, it would be a good place to sit and rest, or get in when it was cold, etc. I used an old 2x12 for the top and some extra OSB for the side. I reinforced the back with a few landscape ties and lots of extra dirt.
Next I bought some shipping straps. The circumference of the pool is about 52 feet, so I bought a 30 foot strap and a 27 foot strap and joined them together. I bought 2" wide straps at Canadian Tire. They said they were rated for 3333 pounds with 10,000 lb. breakage, so I figured that should be plenty. I put one set at the top, and one at the bottom, and ratcheted them up snug. As the ratchets were sticking out a bit, I loosened them a notch--not realizing that they could keep slipping that way. Oops. First big mistake...
...and first big expense. Next was to buy a heavy duty tarp. Pond liner would be $900 and weigh 300 lbs. Hmm. I was also quoted $1200 for a large tarp. Hmm. Bought a 30x60 unused heavy duty tarp on Craigslist for $160. It said Waterproof. Good enough. But just in case, I cut it in half and doubled it up!
Now, the moment we had all been waiting for! Turn on the hose! We needed to fill it a little to let the tarp settle. I was surprised at how fast the weight of the water kept the tarp from moving. There were a few creases on the ground that I couldn't smooth out after only an inch or two of water.
Next I looked for a filter on Craigslist and got this one for $120. It has a cartridge. It didn't come with any connectors or pipes though, so I had to spend about the same amount to get set up with PVC pipe, cement, and a shower drain...and also figure out a way to adapt the output to a garden hose for our solar heater.
Now with the water half full, Malachi braved the cold and splashed around a bit. Brr!

No comments: