Friday 28 October 2016

Six Months in Canada

Some time ago I posted a blog entitled Six Months in Zambia. Today I realized that we have been "back" in Canada for six months, so our adjustment period is probably somewhat complete.

I haven't thought too much of Zambia, or at least not obsessively, but the other night as I was lying in bed waiting to fall asleep, I took my mind through some of the Places that I remembered: the dusty short walk to work, the Chinese restaurant where I met with a friend for lunch every week, the city of Lusaka (particularly the MCC guest house where we stayed every few months), our backyard, etc. The memories of these places and the people associated are very good. Of course I know it wasn't all roses--especially the heat, the electricity situation, the mosquito nets--not to mention sticking out like a sore thumb--but overall quite good and for that I am thankful.

Life in Canada is very comfortable. The water, the appliances, the conveniences, the speed that things happen. Obviously it is expensive too, to pay for all of this; and it's not all easy as I ride my bike in the rain--but then I remember, at least I have a bicycle (actually I have two, and they were both given to me, and one is a speedy light one but not too good in the rain, and the other has 'snow' tires!). And my job may not always be as perfect or as stimulating as I'd like, but then I remember, at least I have a job (and the pay is not half bad). The key is to be "content in every circumstance" (Philippans something).

The kids have adjusted remarkably well to public school; they like it. Michelle is TOCing as she's able. Last weekend we celebrated Lucky 13th Anniversary. She's so pretty in our kayak!

No comments: